Elastic Basket for my Peaches

I also have a website: www.lizhightower.com

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Hitching to a death metal soundtrack

So, it still feels a bit strange to be back but not near as much as the first few days. I have come to realize that a lot of it is having so few people on base. We have teams in Thailand, Borneo, Bangladesh and Nepal right now so the base feels empty. We do have two smaller schools starting up- our SBFM and our School of Worship. There are currently four Texans on base including myself, who I can reminisce with when I get to missing my beloved home state.

I found out yesterday that my brother is scheduled to go to Iraq for a year starting in October. He is in the army so going to Iraq was pretty much a given. It is weird to have an actual date it's supposed to happen. The army seems to change its mind a lot so I will believe it when I see it. I am not that worried about the actual Iraq part. I figure my parents will do more than enough worrying to cover my family. I know that Andrew is more likely to die in a car accident than he is to die in Iraq. What bums me out the most is the idea that I have to go two whole years without seeing my brother, who happens to be one of my favorite people in the whole world. If I think about it too much, I will cry.

On a happier note, Amy and I have picked up right where we left off, spending 90% of our free time together. I have already gone to the gym three times and I have only been back three full days. Amy and I are going to try to guilt trip each other into eating better. I know that this is the only way to make my working out really pay off.

I also went hitchhiking today. We got in the back of a pick-up truck where there was already a guy hitchhiker in the back. He had yet to discover the concept of deodorant. At one point, the truck stopped short and he flew into my lap. Lucky me! The driver of the truck was agressively friendly and kept yelling back to us to figure out exactly where to drop us off. Then he pumped up some horrible music that sounded like someone yelling until they became hoarse and then yelling louder. To make matters worse, the guy was singing, or maybe I should say yelling along. Mmmm.... hitchhiking!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...