Elastic Basket for my Peaches

I also have a website: www.lizhightower.com

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

YWAM gets fancy

If you read my email prayer requests, you will know some of the following:

Yesterday I found out that Sherelle, one of Sherry's bridesmaids, was just diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I really bonded with her and Char, the other bridesmaid when they were in Maui. This kind of news makes me want to puke. She is 23 and just found out she has cancer. I looked on the internet to find out more about this kind of cancer and it said the survival rate is 80-90% even if found in a late stage. This is comforting but she may still have to go through chemo and all that scary stuff. Please pray.

My friend, Wil hit a deer with his motorcycle. I didn't know they even had deer here. They seem out of place. He and Melika were thrown from the bike with Wil breaking Melika's fall. Wil is in pretty rough shape but in very good spirits. He is covered in bandages so his road rash won't get infected. He has to wear these little booties and his hands are bandaged making him look a baby with mittens on so it doesn't scratch itself. He has to get a skin graft on his ankle. The phrase "skin graft" makes me want to puke. Luckily none of his tattoos were ruined. That was one of his biggest concerns. Pray that he doesn't get infected by Maui's rampant staf infections.

Last night we had a commissioning ceremony for our new base director. Tom, who used to run our School of Biblical Foundations in Missions has been named our new base director. I think he will do a great job. He is such a solid man of God. He is meek in the good Biblical way and strong and wise. The ceremony included dinner and was held at this plantation place. A bunch of the YWAMers tried to use this as an excuse to get really dressed up. It was a bit ridiculous how people were freaking out about what they should wear. I dressed fancy but not over the top. Some people didn't get the fancy memo and came in t-shirts and cargo pants. Before the whole thing started, Amy and I were sent back to the houses to pick up more people. We had to drive Sara Engler's car. That car is so funny. It is an 1989 Toyota hatchback painted in camo. Some kid once exclaimed to his mother that it was the GI Joe car. You must also have the heater on at all times when you are driving. Great for hot Maui.

This morning we woke up in the 6's. Anyone that knows me knows that I despise waking up in the 6's. I don't even like waking up in the 7's. Ashley borrowed a car from a lady she babysits for and we wanted to take advantage so we drove to the Bamboo forest. It is a hiking trail to some waterfalls through a forest of bamboo. I was wearing my hiking boots that while comfortable, lacked grip. I couldn't keep my balance to save my life. I was slipping and sliding everywhere. I actually fell at least 10 times. It was very humbling since no one else seemed to having as much trouble. By the end of the hike, I was soaking wet and covered in mud. It was fun but I feared for my life a few times.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...