Elastic Basket for my Peaches

I also have a website: www.lizhightower.com

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Crazy dancing with everyone I know

Last night I went to the Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, Willie Nelson concert. It was part of the Kokua festival, a save the earth kind of thing. I originally found out about it when I looked at Ben Harper's website. He was the one I wanted to see the most. Unfortunately he played first and only played about four songs. Pretty lame! It only left me wanting more. It seems pretty crazy to have Jack Johnson as the headliner when he is the newest artist of the three. Luckily they had Ben come back out at the end and play several songs with Jack. There was even one song with Willie, Jack and Ben. This redeemed the concert for me though I still felt slightly unfulfilled by my Ben time.

It was nice to go to a concert. On the mainland I go to one at least once a month but this was my first one here. We don't get a lot of big names here very often. The venue was good for people watching but not as good for music listening. Where we sat, there were large groups of people walking by in between us and the stage. It was still fun but it was no Stubbs or the Backyard in Austin.

The event was a festival, which meant there were booths with free stuff. I love free stuff. I got lots of stickers, misc. health food-type snacks, recycled bottle opener, recycled shoe laces and some organic feminine products. The snacks were especially nice because I didn't have to buy much food.

I think half of my YWAM friends were there as well as a large percentage of the non-YWAMers I know or recognize on Maui. It makes you realize how small Maui really is.

Ben Harper and Jack Johnson are the type of artists I like to listen to while chillin on a blanket with my friends. Their music is not that conducive to dancing. This did not stop a lot of people. I am not much of a dancer myself but I like to imitate other people's dancing attempts. This brought me and my friend, Gena tons of amusement as we imitated all the crazy dancers around us. One girl had some seriously spastic Elaine Benes type moves. It was hard to keep up. While imitating one of her twirls, I fell onto the people next to me. There was also a very strange new age man who was basically having stand-up sex with his clothes on with a new age young lady. It was frightening and made me feel uncomfortable as it felt like they needed to get a room. So, to combat my fear, Gena and I danced like crazy around them. It was great! I have pictures that I will be posting on my website shortly.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...