Elastic Basket for my Peaches

I also have a website: www.lizhightower.com

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

First Day Feelings

I made it to Maui safe and sound. As the plane began to land, I looked out the window, trying to spot where I had lived. This is something I always do when I fly into Houston, my home. I feel like this signified that Maui was now my home. I was already thinking of it that way.

I was nervous about whether or not anyone would be there to pick up from the airport. YWAM is a great organization but the Maui base is not always the most organized. I went to the baggage claim and found that my friends, Sherry, Jonathan and Wayne were there to meet me. It was so great to see familiar faces and we all picked right up where we left off. I love friends like that.

They took me to Wal-Mart on the way to the base. I forgot how much I missed that place. It sounds weird but that place was a big part of my DTS experience. It reminds me of working at Camp Cho-Yeh in Livingston, TX. Wal-Mart was always a part of our off-times then too. Although, the Livingston Wal-Mart does not feature near as many Hawaiian souvenirs or a view of a volcano out the front door.

I got to meet a lot of the new staff and they all seem very nice. There were also some familiar faces from my previous time at YWAM. Things on base have changed since a few of the buildings we rented got sold. Meals are no longer served in our kitchen/dining room. We now have dinner on the porch of our house.

I live in Harper’s, which is the more desirable female staff housing. And I got a great surprise- I get to share a room with Sherry. YAY! We are supposed to get another roommate as well. I am so excited because I enjoy Sherry very much. I tried to unpack but I have not found places for all my stuff yet. I know I need to make another trip to Wal-Mart to get some organizational tools.

I don’t have jet lag. It’s nice. I guess have insomnia for that last two weeks in Texas paid off. We’ll see how I do tomorrow. Luckily I get tomorrow off to settle in. I start orientation on Wednesday.

I got a little sad about the severe time difference between me and a majority of the people I care most about in the world. It really hit home when my plane landed at 3 pm and I had a voice mail from Sarah Morgan that was sent at 4pm, which hadn’t happened in my time zone yet. I prefer to talk to friends at night but this is just not an option here. I will just have to get used to calling my friends in the afternoon.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...