Elastic Basket for my Peaches

I also have a website: www.lizhightower.com

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Weekend in a Nutshell

This weekend, I went on a little road trip. Big surprise, huh? I seem to be going on a lot of those. I gotta make the most of the mainland, right? I went to San Antonio to spend a final weekend with my brother before he goes to Iraq. He was about to go to Colorado for two weeks and then he leaves for Iraq around May 18th.

I had dinner with Andrew, Shella and Shella's parents. We ate at Cracker Barrel. I think this is one of the few restaurants that serves "American food." It is very fattening and very good. In the morning we had breakfast with the same crowd and then headed to Schiltterbahn. For those of you unfortunate souls who are unfamiliar with the place, it is the world's best waterpark as deemed by the travel channel. It is on the river and has tons of rides. We had a fun crowd: Andrew's old roommate, Eric, Andrew's friend- Veazey and his lady friend, our lifelong friend, Jocelyn and her husband as well as me and Shella. It was like four couples with me and Eric as a random one. Eric's a little too short and too engaged for me, unfortunately. We had a good time strutting around in our bathing suits and riding water slides.

Then we all had some good BBQ at Rudy's. I said good-bye to Andrew. It was the last time I will see him until he gets back from Iraq in January. It's super sad but I basically pretended it wasn't a big deal. At least I will get to talk to him a couple times before he deploys. I am sure I will have some form of emotional breakdown right after he leaves.

On Sunday, we had a Young Life car wash to raise money for camp. A lot of our kids come from lower income families and don't have enough money for camp so we provide opportunities for them to earn money. There were at least 20 kids there. This was a good sign since we often have no idea how many kids are planning to come until the day before.

I am super excited about camp. Before camp we are taking the kids white-water rafting. Most of our kids are black. And some stereotypes about black people prove true in real life. Most black people don't like to swim or get wet. There are practical reasons for this like for girls getting their hair wet will ruin their expensive weaves and many don't know how to swim. Therefore, the idea of them white-water rafting is simply hilarious! I can't wait!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...