Elastic Basket for my Peaches

I also have a website: www.lizhightower.com

Monday, April 02, 2007

Jet Lag does exist

I tried to pretend that I was now immune to jet lag after all my time zone switching. This is not true. I tried to wake up at 8am on Sunday to try out a local church. I went to sleep with good intentions and woke up at 11:45am. Oops. There's always next Sunday.

This weekend I got to see lots of quality people. On Saturday night, I got to hang out with Jocelyn, Emily and Thama. We hung out at the Harnly house and it was like old times. Too bad Jocelyn sold the trampoline. The Harnly house actually feels more like home than my own house. My parents lived across the street from Jocelyn's family from when I was in third grade through my graduation from college. Their new house doesn't feel quite like home yet.

On Sunday, we had a bunch of people over to our house to welcome me and Andrew home. It was fun. I got to see lots of people I really enjoy all at once. It was almost overwhelming. The funniest part of the party was when I was trying to look out the window and see Lindsay Ray's new yellow Ford Focus. The chair I was perched on started rocking and I quickly repositioned myself in order not to fall. I didn't fall and thought all was good. Then my sister-in-law starts to exclaim. Apparently unbeknowst to me, I had split the back of my skirt. I basically flashed two of my friends' husbands. Now that's a party! I had Thama cover me from behind and I ran down to my room to change.

I have realized that being in YWAM changed the way I think about things. YWAM has a fairly strict dress code and I get a weird feeling when my friends here are violating the dress code. It took all I had not to tell one of my friends to change her too-short shorts. I knew it was best to say nothing. I can't implement a Liz dress code that people must follow around me. That would be weird. I am also not used to getting honked at. I was walking down the street today and got quite a few honks from Mexican men in pick-up trucks. Apparently they had seen my photos from ourr Mexican ohana dinner. I do make a lovely Latina. I also overestimated how much food we would need for the party. I forgot that non-YWAMers don't gorge themselves on free food. Despite the weekly supply of baked goods at YWAM, I did everything but stuff food in my pants when free food was presented. I am sure I will see other differences in my thinking as time goes on.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...