Elastic Basket for my Peaches

I also have a website: www.lizhightower.com

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Long time no post

The town I live in here is so random. It's hard for anyone to understand who has never been here. Last week I saw an old man closely resembling Santa Claus (long white beard, pot belly, etc) wearing nothing but a speedo and going into the post office. That is not normal.

There is also this bald lady who lives here that scares me. I see her reading the Bible but she is definitely not Christian. She hangs out at the local coffee shop, though I don't know how she has money. I don't know who would hire her to work. She sometimes follows YWAMers around hissing and whispering the word, "Satan." I have been wanting to talk to her but I am also scared. Today I was driving to the base and she was hitchhiking in that direction. I probably would have picked her up if I hadn't been alone but the thought of being alone in a car with her as she hissed at me, seemed too much to bear.

There is also a character here called Paia Dave. He is an old guy who used to wear a top hat. I unfortunately ran into him once at the nude beach. (I was just walking by, not sunning myself.) Thankfully, he was submerged in water up to his chest. Today the students had an outdoor worship time by the beach. Paia Dave stopped by (fully clothed) to listen to them jam. He has a reputation for being a bit too forward with the ladies. I had to bite my cheeks to keep from laughing outloud as I watched him watch the female student next to him. He couldn't take his eyes off her and she didn't look too interested.

I am definitely having issues with leaving this place. On one hand I am anxious to leave and see Andrew and it's not the same now that my YWAM best friend is gone. On the other hand, I still have a lot of amazing friends here, I get to live in Paradise, I get to serve God full-time and I get to see God move everyday. These mixed emotions cause me to act in two ways. I either want to spend as much time with people as possible or I want to hide in my room indefinitely and watch episodes of The Office. Now, this is a good show but it cannot take the place of socialization. For the most part I fight my hermit urges. In fact, my week is already packed with plans that involve other people. I just have to figure out how to balance hanging out with all these people while I still can with my need for privacy and reflection during this transitional time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...