Elastic Basket for my Peaches

I also have a website: www.lizhightower.com

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Foldy's Big Debut

Yesterday was quite the emotional day both good and bad. I started the day by going to Oran Tarlton's funeral. Oran was a really great guy and a good friend to my parents and boss to my sister-in-law. He was only 53 and left behind a wife and two daughters aged 24 and 21. He died after a tough battle with cancer and will definitely be missed by many people. The funeral was good as funerals go and really felt like a celebration of his life. I couldn't help but cry when I saw his male friends crying as they spoke of Oran's life. Men crying gets me every time. Several of us wore bicycling jerseys as a tribute to his love of bike riding. I wasn't sure how to pull off a bike jersey at a funeral and ended up wearing a jersey with white long sleeve shirt underneath, fancy grey pants and a pea coat on top. It was a little unorthodox but the other people who wore jerseys dressed about the same so it worked out. The pastor told of how in his last days, Oran was thinking of heaven and also of riding his bike. It's not theologically sound, but it's nice to think of Oran up in heaven, no longer suffering and riding his bike.

After the funeral, I headed home to get ready for my birthday party that night. My friend, Sara Stanford was already in town so she helped me cook and get ready for the party. My mom had me vacuum the whole downstairs and since their house is fairly large, it took a long time. I'd just finished vacuuming and was still kind of in the vacuum zone, when I saw my friend, Jocelyn. We've been friends for 21 years, so it wasn't that weird to see her. Then I realized that she lives in New Jersey and I had no idea she was coming. It was so great to see her and such a surprise! I already felt like my day would be good just because Jocelyn had come in town.

We got everything ready and people started to arrive. It ended up being a very eclectic mix of people, just as I had hoped. There were about 25 people there who I knew from childhood, high school, church, college, summer camp, Young Life and YWAM, in addition to my family members. It was pretty awesome! I showed everyone "foldy," my folding bike and they were quite impressed. People took turns riding it in pairs down the street. For gifts I got a lot of school supplies for my upcoming grad school. The most memorable was my Justin Beiber notebook. That's sure to make me some new friends. Overall I had a blast and it was a great way to celebrate my 30th year of life. My real birthday is tomorrow but I don't have any special plans other than dinner at Chuy's. I think yesterday was probably sufficient for celebrating. Good times with good people. Most of the guests live in Houston so it definitely got me excited about all the friends I have here. I feel very blessed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...