Elastic Basket for my Peaches

I also have a website: www.lizhightower.com

Friday, March 05, 2010

What I Am Up To

I thought it might be a good idea to let people know what I am doing out here in Hawaii now that I've been here for about a month.

English Lessons
My main objective is to make an English teaching curriculum for our DTS teams to take to Asia. I've already come up with about 30 lessons that use meaty Bible verses and groups of rhyming words found within those verses. I am going to create another set of lessons that don't use Bible verses to be used in places where we can't be so obvious. I have also started compiling a guide I like to call, "Ahhhh... I'm teaching English!!???" This is for those times in any foreign country when you are suddenly told you need to teach English to people of unknown ability. Another thing I am working on is compiling a long list of language learning games that can be played in English classes and English corners. I am currently sifting through the copious amounts of material on the internet to find activities that fit with our students and teaching opportunities.

Growth Group
One of my goals while in Maui is to disciple the younger girl staff here. As one of the older people here, I think it's important to try to help the younger girls. I just took over the weekly small group and our first meeting went pretty well. Everyone seems to want the same thing and the girls seem really fun. The fact that I provided ice cream probably didn't hurt either.

Training
I have been able to help one of our outreach teams get ready to teach English. I spoke to them about the country they are going to and last week I did a mock English lesson with them. For this next week they have a homework assignment to come up with their own English lesson and I am going to randomly choose a few of them to teach in front of the group. It was fun to share with them and they seemed interested in what I had to say.

Randomness
I have also been using my editing skills around the base to help with various things. I have proofread support letters and college essays. And now, after seeing some of our promotional materials full of run-on sentences and bad grammar, I have appointed myself as an editor. I just don't want our base to look bad and I am a stickler for that kind of stuff. I've also been helping my friends, Abbey and Wil out. They have two children under two years old so they really have their hands full.

Overall I feel useful here and glad that I can help out. I am unsure of exactly what I will be doing in April since a lot of stuff is still up in the air. I am trying to just be open to wherever God sees fit to use me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...